Crankcase explosionon BRITISH VALOUR – OFFSHORE BERMUDA @ 23.03hrs (GMT), 18 MARCH 2001.
- No personnel injuries; physical damage and heat damage in the engine room was significant.
- The vessel’s main engine was disabled.
- Cracks and oil are found on the crowns of no 1 and 6 pistons.
- The holes on the piston allow direct contact between the combustion space and crankcase through the cooling oil passages and are considered to be the heat source that initiated the explosion.
- Engine model: B&W 8 UEC 75 LLII