Fire accident caused by crank case explosion on Hong Kong registered asphalt tanker “An Tai Jiang”@1230 local time, 9 January 2009.
- Crankcase explosion resulted with fire spread from engine room into crew accommodation and burnt out the combustible materials in its path causing serious damage.
- The accident resulted in 3 fatalities.
- Problem existed in the main engine and its lubrication system for a long time without attention.
- Main engine oil mist detector does not show records of regular inspection, maintenance or servicing before the incident.
- Engine Model: Pielstick 6PC2-5L